Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Location: National Park, NZ
- Product code: GWVEHD
If time is limited and you are unable to spend the whole day walking the Tongariro Crossing, then the 4-hour Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk is for you. Enjoy the beautiful landscape of the Tongariro National Park with this half day tour.
When possible, we will start on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing track and head up to Soda Springs before returning to the start. For the morning tours, at Soda Springs we give you the option to upgrade to the full day walk and join in with the full day guided party to complete the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. There is an additional $50pp fee for this upgrade but you will need to have your lunch and adequate water with you.
If the Tongariro Alpine Crossing walk is not suitable on the day, we have a menu of smaller walks we can enjoy. We will talk and show you all things relevant to Tongariro and New Zealand including recent and past eruptions, geology, flora and fauna discovery and settlement of NZ.
These are the most popular Tongariro sites we choose from and include in the 4 hours: Lake Rotopounamu, Taranaki Falls, Silica Rapids, Soda Springs, Pukeonake, Whakapapanui River, Tawhai falls, Meads Wall.
Guide/s, transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity, $40 of clothing and footwear hire (boots $20, clothing $10, socks, gloves, hats, sunglasses $5 per item).
Transfers from Whakapapa Village incur an additional costs see details below.
Christmas and New Year Operations
Christmas Day and New Year’s Day will only be offered at the Exclusive price point with a minimum of
two pax. Boxing day and the 2nd January incur at 50% surcharge on the normal tour rate, minimum of two pax.
All tours start and finish at the Adrift Tongariro base.
Return transfers between Whakapapa Village accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $35pp minimum 2 persons.
We endeavor to remove the risk of clients not having adequate clothing and equipment for the conditions. To achieve this we request clients to meet at the Adrift Tongariro base to improve both safety and service as this is outfitted with all equipment and clothing needs for the conditions of the day.
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 8:00am / Drop off: 12.30pm
Whakapapa Village: Pick up 7:45am / Drop off: 12.30pm
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 7:00am / Drop off: 12.30pm
Transfers are an additional service to the tour.
- All times are approximate
- Summer 1 October - 30 April, Winter 1 May - 30 September
- Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity is included in the price.
- All return transfers between accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base, an additional charge applies as per above.
- We do not offer Whakapapa Village return transfers in winter.
- All return transfers require a minimum of two persons to operate transfers.
- All clients making their own way (self-drive) should meet at the Adrift Tongariro base in time for a 8am summer and a 7am winter morning tour departure.
- If you have paid for transfers it is essential that you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.
Water, hiking boots or shoes, long walking pants, 2 x warm tops and a raincoat. During colder months, gloves, warm hat and over-trousers may be required.
Adrift Tongariro has available for hire personal equipment footwear and clothing to supplement that which you don’t have and need including boots, socks, thermal longs, fleece longs, waterproof pants, thermal tops, fleece tops, waterproof tops, warm gloves, warm hats, sun hats, sunglasses, backpacks, walking poles and sleeping bags and liners.
If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.