Exclusive Tongariro Alpine Crossing Guided Walk
- Duration: 8 Hours (approx.)
- Location: National Park Village, NZ
- Product code: GWEXTAC
Enjoy the famous Tongariro Alpine Crossing with an exclusive guide from Adrift Tongariro. This 19km trek is New Zealand’s best day one-day walk. The track leads up to the saddle between Mt. Ngauruhoe and Mt. Tongariro. The landscape on Tongariro is peppered with the different coloured and shaped craters that have been active at different periods, scoured volcanic rocks, mountain springs, and brightly coloured emerald lakes.
Our exclusive guided trips provide you with a really personal, informative and friendly experience you will never forget. The beautiful scenery does a lot of the work for us but we have tailored this trip so that group sizes are small, your guides are well informed and keep you safe by constantly assessing the weather and track conditions, timing for your Ketetahi personalised transport pick-up, and other little details that will maximise your enjoyment. They can also tailor the trip to accommodate different fitness levels and avoid weather-exposed sections or crowded areas.
This is a Tongariro Alpine guided tour. We do not guarantee reaching the Ketatahi end. Safety regarding, weather, avalanche, ice and hypothermia are taken into consideration when securing our exact route for the day.
Exclusive guide/s, transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity, lunch (vegetarian and gluten free available on request at time of booking), crampon and ice axes if required for winter conditions, all clothing and footwear hire.
All Transfers from Whakapapa Village, Turangi, Ohakune and Taupo incur an additional costs see details below.
Christmas and New Year Operations
We will be closed on Christmas Day. Tour bookings for New Year’s Day will only be offered at a 100%
surcharge on the normal tour rate and with a minimum of two pax. Boxing day and January 2nd will incur at 50% surcharge on the normal tour rate, minimum of two pax.
Tour starts and finishes at the Adrift Tongariro Base.
- Return transfers between Whakapapa Village accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $35pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Taupo CBD accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $225pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Ohakune accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $125pp minimum 2 persons.
Return transfers between Turangi accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $125pp minimum 2 persons.
We endeavor to remove the risk of clients not having adequate clothing and equipment for the conditions. To achieve this we request clients to meet at the Adrift Tongariro base to improve both safety and service as this is outfitted with all equipment and clothing needs for the conditions of the day.
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 8:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Whakapapa Village: Pick up 8:30am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 7:15am / Drop off 5:45pm
Ohakune: Pick up 7:30am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:30am / Drop off 6:30pm
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 7:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 6:40am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:00am / Drop off 6:30pm
- Transfers are not exclusive unless requested. Exclusive transfers pay the four person charge.
- Transfers are an additional service to the tour.
- All times are approximate
- Summer 1 October - 30 April, Winter 1 May - 30 September
- Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity is included in the price.
- All return transfers between accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base, an additional charge applies as per above.
- We do not offer Whakapapa Village and Ohakune return transfers in winter.
- All return transfers require a minimum of two persons to operate transfers.
- All clients making their own way (self-drive) should meet at the Adrift Tongariro base in time for a 8am summer and a 7am winter departure.
If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss
- exact timings. +64 7892 2751.
Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots/shoes, walking trousers, 1 light top and 2 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat.
Water (1-1.5 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers & over-trousers, 3 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat, Warm hat and gloves.
Adrift Tongariro has available for hire personal equipment footwear and clothing to supplement that which you don’t
have and need including boots, socks, thermal longs, fleece longs, waterproof pants, thermal tops, fleece tops, waterproof tops, warm gloves, warm hats, sun hats, sunglasses, backpacks, walking poles and sleeping bags and liners.
Fitness and Experience
A reasonably good level of fitness is required. If you are concerned about your fitness please let your guide know
before commencing the walk, as there are options we can discuss with you. Walking time is about 7 hours including stops. No alpine experience is required.
If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.