Old Coach Road Half Day Guided Mountain Bike
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Location: National Park Village, NZ
- Product code: GMTBOCRHD
Journey back in time, walking or riding along the historic cobblestone Coach Road through a bush corridor on the slopes of Mount Ruapehu. On this exciting adventure track you will see magnificent native Rimu trees, native falcons screaming through the air, pigeons flying between the tree tops, the curved steel lattice of the Hapuawhenua Viaduct and the old railway tunnel.
This grade 2 cycleway is appropriate for all, including family groups with young children and those a little older with limited fitness. We alternate between the northern section and the southern section of the Old Coad Road depending on clients biking ability and weather and track conditions.
Guide/s, transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity, bike and helmet.
Adrift Tongariro has clothing available for hire to supplement that which you don’t have and need.
Transfers from Whakapapa Village incur an additional costs see details below.
Christmas and New Year Operations
Tour bookings for Christmas Day and New Year’s Day will only be offered at a 100% surcharge on the normal tour rate and with a minimum of two pax. Boxing day and the 2nd January incur at 50% surcharge on the normal tour rate, minimum of two pax.
All tours start and finish at the Adrift Tongariro base.
Return transfers between Whakapapa Village accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $35pp minimum 2 persons.
We endeavor to remove the risk of clients not having adequate clothing and equipment for the conditions. To achieve this we request clients to meet at the Adrift Tongariro base to improve both safety and service as this is outfitted with all equipment and clothing needs for the conditions of the day.
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 9:00am / Drop off: 12.30pm
Whakapapa Village: Pick up 9:00am / Drop off: 12.30pm
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 8:00am / Drop off: 12.30pm
- Transfers are an additional service to the tour.
- All times are approximate
- Summer 1 October - 30 April, Winter 1 May - 30 September
- Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity is included in the price.
- All return transfers between accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base, an additional charge applies as per above.
- We do not offer Whakapapa Village return transfers in winter.
- All return transfers require a minimum of two persons to operate transfers.
- All clients making their own way (self-drive) should meet at the Adrift Tongariro base in time for a 9am summer and a 8am winter morning tour departure.
- If you have paid for transfers it is essential that you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.
Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), Sun hat Sunscreen, Sunglasses, backpack per person, trainers, shorts suitable for cycling, 1 warm top layer (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), change of clothes if the weather is wet.
Adrift Tongariro has available for hire personal equipment footwear and clothing to supplement that which you don’t have and need including boots, socks, thermal longs, fleece longs, waterproof pants, thermal tops, fleece tops, waterproof tops, warm gloves, warm hats, sun hats, sunglasses, backpacks, walking poles and sleeping bags and liners.
If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.