Exclusive Mt Ngauruhoe Guided Walk
- Duration: 8 Hours (approx.)
- Location: National Park Village, NZ
- Product code: GWEXNGA
Our exclusive guided trips provide you with a really personal, informative and friendly experience you will never forget. The beautiful scenery does a lot of the work for us but we have tailored this trip so that your group is exclusive to you, your guide is well informed and will keep you safe by constantly assessing the weather and track conditions, timing for your personalized transport pick-up, and other little details that will maximize your enjoyment.
For those who like a little challenge, we offer an Exclusive Mt. Ngauruhoe Guided Walk. The near perfect volcanic cone of Mt. Ngauruhoe entices many visitors to its summit. It is 2287m high and last erupted in 1975. This is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. There are parts of the climb that are reasonably steep up to 33° (ropes are not required) however some section to feel slightly exposed.
Exclusive/private guide/s, transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity, lunch (vegetarian and gluten free available on request at time of booking), crampon and ice axes if required for winter conditions, all clothing and footwear hire. Please note: A minimum of two people are required to offer this exclusive tour. Subsequent bookings over and above two people can book at the normal group tour rate.
All transfers from Whakapapa Village, Turangi, Ohakune and Taupo incur an additional costs see details below.
Christmas and New Year Operations
We will be closed on Christmas Day. Tour bookings for New Year’s Day will only be offered at a 100% surcharge on the normal tour rate and with a minimum of two pax. Boxing day and January 2nd will incur at 50% surcharge on the normal tour rate, minimum of two pax.
Tour starts and finishes at the Adrift Tongariro Base.
- Return transfers between Whakapapa Village accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $35pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Taupo CBD accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $225pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Ohakune accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $125pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Turangi accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $125pp minimum 2 persons.
We endeavor to remove the risk of clients not having adequate clothing and equipment for the conditions. To achieve this we request clients to meet at the Adrift Tongariro base to improve both safety and service as this is outfitted with all equipment and clothing needs for the conditions of the day.
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 8:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Whakapapa Village: Pick up 8:30am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 7:15am / Drop off 5:45pm
Ohakune: Pick up 7:30am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:30am / Drop off 6:30pm
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 7:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 6:40am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:00am / Drop off 6:30pm
- Transfers are not exclusive unless requested. Exclusive transfers pay the four-person charge.
- Transfers are an additional service to the tour.
- All times are approximate
- Summer 1 October - 30 April, Winter 1 May - 30 September
- Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity is included in the price.
- All return transfers between accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base, an additional charge applies as per above.
- We do not offer Whakapapa Village and Ohakune return transfers in winter.
- All return transfers require a minimum of two persons to operate transfers.
- All clients making their own way (self-drive) should meet at the Adrift Tongariro base in time for a 8am summer and a 7am winter departure.
- If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.
Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots/shoes, walking trousers, 1 light top and 2 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat.
Water (1-1.5 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers & over-trousers, 3 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat, Warm hat and gloves.
Adrift Tongariro has available for hire personal equipment footwear and clothing to supplement that which you don’t have and need including boots, socks, thermal longs, fleece longs, waterproof pants, thermal tops, fleece tops, waterproof tops, warm gloves, warm hats, sun hats, sunglasses, backpacks, walking poles and sleeping bags and liners.
Fitness and Experience
Good fitness is required to climb Mt. Ngauruhoe. It is steep with a rugged loose rock surface. During winter and times of snow, surface conditions will vary from day to day. Crampons and ices axes are required and your guide will provide instruction on how to use them correctly. Please note this is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. There are parts of the climb that are reasonably steep up to 33°, you may feel slightly exposed.
If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.