Exclusive Mt Ngauruhoe Guided Walk
- Trvanie: 8 Hodín (cca.)
- Poloha: National Park Village, NZ
- Kód produktu: GWNGA
For those who like a little challenge, we offer an Exclusive Mt. Ngauruhoe Guided Walk. The near perfect volcanic cone of Mt. Ngauruhoe entices many visitors to its summit. It is 2287m high and last erupted in 1975. This is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. There are parts of the climb that are reasonably steep up to 33° (ropes are not required) however some section to feel slightly exposed.
We follow the Tongariro Alpine Crossing track up the Mangatepopo Valley to the saddle between Mt. Ngauruhoe and Mt. Tongariro (up to 2 hr). Then we take a route that leads to the foot of a ridge near the centre of Mt. Ngauruhoe. We follow the rock ridge or on either side of the mountain directly up toward the summit. Beyond the ridge, cross over
the band of red rock to reach the outer crater gully. From here we climb to the highest point on the outer crater rim (to the left) or to the top of the inner crater rim (to the right). There are steam vents on the outer rim. We then descend via the red scoria, then on the loose scree to either side of the ridge.
Exclusive guide/s, transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity, lunch (vegetarian and gluten free available on request at time of booking), crampon and ice axes if required for winter conditions, all clothing and footwear hire.
All transfers from Whakapapa Village, Turangi, Ohakune and Taupo incur an additional costs see details below.
Tour starts and finishes at the Adrift Tongariro Base.
- Return transfers between Whakapapa Village accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $35pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Taupo CBD accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $225pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Ohakune accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $125pp minimum 2 persons.
Return transfers between Turangi accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $125pp minimum 2 persons.
We endeavor to remove the risk of clients not having adequate clothing and equipment for the conditions. To achieve this we request clients to meet at the Adrift Tongariro base to improve both safety and service as this is outfitted with all equipment and clothing needs for the conditions of the day.
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 8:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Whakapapa Village: Pick up 8:30am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 7:15am / Drop off 5:45pm
Ohakune: Pick up 7:30am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:30am / Drop off 6:30pm
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 7:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 6:40am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:00am / Drop off 6:30pm
- Transfers are not exclusive unless requested. Exclusive transfers pay the four-person charge.
- Transfers are an additional service to the tour.
- All times are approximate
- Summer 1 October - 30 April, Winter 1 May - 30 September
- Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity is included in the price.
- All return transfers between accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base, an additional charge applies as per above.
- We do not offer Whakapapa Village and Ohakune return transfers in winter.
- All return transfers require a minimum of two persons to operate transfers.
- All clients making their own way (self-drive) should meet at the Adrift Tongariro base in time for a 8am summer and a 7am winter departure.
- If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.
Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots/shoes, walking trousers, 1 light top and 2 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat.
Water (1-1.5 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack
per person, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers & over-trousers, 3 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat, Warm hat and gloves.
Adrift Tongariro has available for hire personal equipment footwear and clothing to supplement that which you don’t have and need including boots, socks, thermal longs, fleece longs, waterproof pants, thermal tops, fleece tops, waterproof tops, warm gloves, warm hats, sun hats, sunglasses, backpacks, walking poles and sleeping bags and liners.
Fitness and Experience
Good fitness is required to climb Mt. Ngauruhoe. It is steep with a rugged loose rock surface. During winter and times of snow, surface conditions will vary from day to day. Crampons and ices axes are required and your guide will provide instruction on how to use them correctly. Please note this is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. There are parts of the climb that are reasonably steep up to 33°, you may feel slightly exposed.
If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.