Exclusive Mt Ruapehu Crater Lake Guided hike
- Duration: 8 Hours (approx.)
- Location: National Park Village, NZ
- Product code: GWEXRCL
Our exclusive guided trips provide you with a really personal, informative and friendly experience you will never forget. The beautiful scenery does a lot of the work for us but we have tailored this trip so that your group is exclusive to you, your guide is well informed and will keep you safe by constantly assessing the weather and track conditions, timing for your personalized transport pick-up, and other little details that will maximize your enjoyment.
For those who like a manageable challenge, we offer a full day exclusive Ruapehu Guided hike. Mt. Ruapehu is the highest (2797m) of the three active andesitic volcanoes in the Tongariro National Park. The last eruption on Mt. Ruapehu was in 2007. Join us for lunch on top of the North Island highest volcano from where you can gaze down into the geothermal waters of the crater lake. Please note this is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
The walk begins at the Whakapapa Ski area at the top of the Bruce Road on Mt. Ruapehu. There may be an option of taking a chairlift up to Knoll Ridge cafe. This option will depend on the group on the day and if the chairlifts are operating. Payment for the chairlift is about $35 pp and is made to Ruapehu Alpine Lifts (situated at the start of the walk). The lifts close at 4.00 pm daily, should conditions deteriorate during the day the lifts may have to be closed earlier.
Guide/s, transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity, lunch (vegetarian and gluten free available on request at time of booking), crampon and ice axes if required for winter conditions, all clothing and footwear hire. Please note: A minimum of two people are required to offer this exclusive tour. Subsequent bookings over and above two people can book at the normal group tour rate.
All transfers from Whakapapa Village, Turangi, Ohakune and Taupo incur an additional costs see details below.
We will be closed on Christmas Day. Tour bookings for New Year’s Day will only be offered at a 100% surcharge on the normal tour rate and with a minimum of two pax. Boxing day and January 2nd will incur at 50% surcharge on the normal tour rate, minimum of two pax.
Tour starts and finishes at the Adrift Tongariro Base.
- Return transfers between Whakapapa Village accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $35pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Taupo CBD accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $225pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Ohakune accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $125pp minimum 2 persons.
- Return transfers between Turangi accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base: $125pp minimum 2 persons.
We endeavor to remove the risk of clients not having adequate clothing and equipment for the conditions. To achieve this we request clients to meet at the Adrift Tongariro base to improve both safety and service as this is outfitted with all equipment and clothing needs for the conditions of the day.
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 8:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Whakapapa Village: Pick up 8:30am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 7:15am / Drop off 5:45pm
Ohakune: Pick up 7:30am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:30am / Drop off 6:30pm
Adrift Tongariro Base: Pick up 7:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 6:40am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:00am / Drop off 6:30pm
- Transfers are an additional service to the tour.
- All times are approximate
- Summer 1 October - 30 April, Winter 1 May - 30 September
- Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity is included in the price.
- All return transfers between accommodation and the Adrift Tongariro base, an additional charge applies as per above.
- We do not offer Ohakune return transfers in winter.
- All return transfers require a minimum of two persons to operate transfers.
- All clients making their own way (self-drive) should meet at the Adrift Tongariro base in time for a 8am summer and a 7am winter departure.
- If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.
Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots/shoes, walking trousers, 1 light top and 2 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat.
Water (1-1.5 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers & over-trousers, 3 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), waterproof raincoat, warm hat and gloves.
Adrift Tongariro has available for hire personal equipment footwear and clothing to supplement that which you don’t have and need including boots, socks, thermal longs, fleece longs, waterproof pants, thermal tops, fleece tops, waterproof tops, warm gloves, warm hats, sun hats, sunglasses, backpacks, walking poles and sleeping bags and liners.
Fitness and Experience
Please note this is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
Hiking distance is 10 kms return or 7 kms return when the chairlift is utilised. Hiking time is about 6-7 hours. This hike requires a good level of fitness. The terrain is uneven and steep in places. It is possible to take the hike as far as Knoll Ridge Café, if you are concerned about your fitness.
During winter and times of snow, surface conditions will vary from day to day. Crampons and ices axes are required and your guide will provide instruction on how to use them correctly.
If you have paid for transfers it is essential you phone the Adrift Tongariro base 24 hours prior to trip date to discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.